Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The Challenge Bank

It seems that while I am constantly wanting to grow and improve myself, I'm absolutely horrible at the follow through. I want to try new things, but shy away from the particulars. I want to be a better person, but really, have no idea of where to start. And even if I can get through all of that, the doubt comes in: "Is this really what I should try? Is this what I need? Maybe I don't know myself as well as others do... maybe I need help with this."

And so help is exactly what I asked for. A few mass emails were sent, and then the responses began... The Challenge Bank w
as born:


The Challenge Bank is a garden of suggestions, requests and to-do's that have been submitted by my friends, family, colleagues and self. They range from the inspirational (catalogue all of the really good things that you have acquired) to the fun (build a fort) to the healthy (take a fitness class) to the, erm, perhaps selfish (several people suggested making a mix cd and sending it to 'a friend'). There are challenges about cooking, about art, about others, and about getting my shit done.

Since the challe
nges have stopped coming in (but are always welcome), I'm trying to put this idea into practice. I've got a lovely little bulletin board where I post the challenges that I've pulled from the basket, and I'm keeping it in plain sight, so I can be reminded everyday, not only the things I should be doing, but also that I'm doing something and that that's pretty great too.


Of course, there are some that I will simply do when the opportunity presents itself, or when I feel like it; The Challenge Bank isn't about rules, it's about realistic growth.

Anyhow, I'm going to try and blog the results of challenges when I complete them... but I might not always. That's how this thing is going to roll.

4 comments:

  1. I love the colors in the basket. Have you completed any challenges yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm working on a few challenges that take a bit of time... I'll post about them when they're done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think one of the hardest things about changing is not knowing if the change (in your case challenge) will be one that makes you happy. Or worse yet, one you can maintain, in which case when you revert, you will cease to be happy. For example, one may take an exercise class (happy) and lose weight (happy) but when the class is over (unhappy) one might gain weight (unhappy.)

    Happiness is very often tied to things outside of us.

    There's a saying I learned several years ago and it's a mantra to me now. It is quite simply: be happy first. It sounds silly but in my life it's become the route to perpetual serendipity, where everything in life becomes gravy because I'm already happy (internal) and not waiting to see what it'll take (external) to make me happy. It makes it easier to weather the ups and downs that invariably happen in love, life, and friendships.

    So my contribution to your Challenge Bank is, Be Happy First.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment, Hope. And I've tried to ensure (as much as possible), that The Challenge Bank only lifts me up. So... I don't include everyone's challenges, I only include those I feel I'll be up to or those that I want to challenge myself with; prove to myself that I can do them.

    One of my favourites: Don't let the bastards get you down. (Sort of the same as "Be Happy First"... but much more applicable to my current situation)

    ReplyDelete